Having a routine in place is a helpful way to achieve your goals. Without a routine, many people find that they either take longer to reach their goals or do not reach them at all. All a routine is, is a plan laid out to help you reach a certain objective. Routines do not need to be complicated. In fact, a simple routine often provides an easier path to where you want to go. When it comes to your oral health, making it through life with a healthy and complete smile is the ultimate objective. By following the steps below, you will have simple strides for implementing a good dental routine.
- Floss daily. Flossing is the most important aspect of a good dental routine, yet it is also the most neglected. Every time you eat and drink, particles are left behind inside the mouth. These particles become trapped between the teeth, where only floss can reach to clean these tight spaces. If you are not flossing, you are leaving a portion of your teeth constantly dirty and under constant assault from bacteria-laden plaque.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. It is important to brush your teeth in the morning and before bed to help loosen and remove plaque that builds up on the surfaces of the teeth. It is important to use a fluoride toothpaste to help protect the teeth from cavities and decay.
- Rinse your toothbrush well after using it. Since your toothbrush is used to remove plaque from the teeth, it is inevitable that some plaque will become trapped in the bristles of your toothbrush. Remembering to rinse it off well under fast, running water will help wash away lingering plaque. It is also important to store your toothbrush in an upright position so that it dries quickly, eliminating an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive.
- Replace your toothbrush often. Even with proper rinsing, some bacteria will remain on your toothbrush. Over time, these bacteria will begin to multiply and grow. It is recommended that you replace your toothbrush every 3-6 months so that you have a clean tool to use when cleaning your teeth.
- Visit the dentist regularly. While your dental routine at home is essential in maintaining your oral health, regular dental visits are vital. A professional cleaning will keep your teeth and gums free from damaging plaque buildup, and routine exams will allow your dentist to spot concerns before they permanently damage your smile.
At Heritage Dental, we encourage you to make a good dental routine part of your every day. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
23945 Franz Road, Suite A
Katy, TX 77493