The thought of oral care draws the picture of steps to have healthy teeth in our minds. Most of us fail to realize that apart from having shiny and properly aligned teeth is not just enough if you want to ensure the well-being of your oral health. It is necessary to keep your gums healthy as well. Gum disease is usually painless and hence can go unnoticed in the beginning. Did going through the last sentence make your shoulders shudder? Well, there is nothing to worry about! Taking some time out of your daily routine and investing it in dental care can be helpful in preventing gum disease with ease. The best Katy dentists have come up with tips to avoid gum disease in this blog. So, why wait anymore? Go through the sections to quench your quest for information related to this topic.
What is Gum Disease?
But, before discussing the tips to prevent gum disease, you should know what the problem actually is. It can be defined as an oral issue that starts due to the buildup of plaque above and under the gum line. Plaque is basically a yellow film-like substance that consists of harmful bacteria. The plaque build-up initiates gum disease and tooth decay. As mentioned before, gum disease can not be observed at an early stage. So, you need to be careful to notice the first symptoms of this problem. They are:
- Inflamed gums
- Reddishness in your gums
- Suffering from the problem of bleeding gums while brushing or flossing
- Tender gums
- Facing the problems such as bad breath or bad taste
In case you face the above-mentioned symptoms, do not hesitate to contact a dental office nearby. You can book an appointment at Heritage Dental if you are looking for the best periodontal treatment in Katy.
6 Tips to Have Healthy Gums
Now that you know what gum disease is, go through the effective tips to avoid this problem.
- Floss regularly – Flossing is a must if you want to take proper care of your gums. This can help to get rid of the food particles stuck on your gum line and in between the teeth. A lot of people think that flossing can damage their gums. This is a misconception! Flossing can never be bad for your gums if done correctly. It is advisable for you to floss before brushing your teeth for better results.
- Brushing daily – Brushing your teeth is necessary to remove the plaque that is formed on your teeth and gums. Hence, brushing your teeth at least twice a day can be an effective way to prevent gum infection.
- Use a mouthwash – Rinse your mouth with a mouthwash to fight against the bacteria that cause damage to your gums. There are different kinds of mouthwashes available on the market. You should get the mouthwash that suits your particular oral requirements.
- Eat clean – You should avoid sugary food items in order to take proper care of your gums. Are you wondering why? The human mouth consists of harmful bacteria that can grow in the presence of sugar particles. On the other hand, you should include more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Drink water – It is essential to drink an adequate amount of water on a daily basis. Less intake of water can be the cause of dehydration which in turn leads to less production of saliva. Now the major functions of saliva are to wash away the food particles stuck in between the teeth and on your gum. Deposits of these remnant particles can initiate the growth of gum disease-causing bacteria. So, less saliva can contribute to the chances of suffering from serious dental problems.
- Consult a dentist – You should also visit a dentist from time to time. There are numerous dental offices that offer excellent preventive dental care. Going for regular checkups increases the probability of gum disease getting diagnosed at an early stage. Contact Heritage Dental if you are looking for top-class preventive dental service in Katy.
We hope that you have now gained a better understanding of how to prevent gum disease. Keep visiting our website for more such blogs related to oral health.