Although it sounds like an obvious issue, having a cracked tooth is one of the most overlooked dental issues. It is actually not uncommon for patients to go in to the dentist’s office for a routine cleaning and checkup only to learn that one of their teeth is cracked. Having a cracked tooth is a serious dental issue that needs to be addressed by your dentist as soon as possible.
Signs that you have a cracked tooth include:
- Any time there is pain associated with a tooth, it is essential that you bring this to your dentist’s attention right away. Pain in the mouth is always an indicator that something serious is going on. It is important to note, that most oral health issues will not resolve on their own and will only get worse (and require more extensive treatment) the longer they are ignored. Pain from a cracked tooth often comes and goes with chewing – pain is felt when pressure is put on the tooth, and pain is relieved once pressure is taken off.
- Discoloration of a single tooth commonly occurs to a tooth that is cracked, damaged, or has died.
- A visible line. If there is a visible line within one of your teeth, this line is a crack in the tooth enamel.
- A chipped tooth is often cracked. If the tooth is not cracked, any chip in the tooth enamel will leave it vulnerable to cracking.
- Transparency of a tooth indicates that the tooth enamel has been severely weakened, and it will either crack easily or die.
Cracked teeth occur quite often, despite the fact that tooth enamel is the hardest substance within the human body. Bad habits (e.g. nail biting, chewing hard candy, crunching ice), blunt force trauma, not wearing proper mouth protection and/or helmets during recreational sports, and accidents are all common causes of cracked teeth. Any injury to the mouth needs to be evaluated by your dentist as soon as possible for necessary treatment.
If you have any signs that you may have a cracked tooth, or you have any dental concerns, please contact Heritage Dental today. We are here for all of your oral health care needs and comfort.
Katy, TX 77493